Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has condemned fresh attacks launched on Nigerians living in South Africa.
South African mobs launched attacks on foreigners, mostly Nigerians, and looted and burnt their places of business on Sunday, September 1, 2019, and Monday, September 2.
Three people were also reported to have been killed during the attacks in the Jeppestown area of Johannesburg, South Africa’s biggest city. However, it’s unclear if they were Nigerians.
The President of the Nigerian Union South Africa (NUSA), Adetola Olubajo, said in a statement.
See some photos of affected car business below:-
The attacks have led to widespread anger among Nigerians who have taken to social media to call on the Federal Government to take significant actions against South Africa.
Atiku, a candidate in the 2019 presidential election, added his voice to calls on his Twitter account on Tuesday, September 3, urging for urgent steps to be taken to address the situation.
See a screenshot of his tweet below:-
Nigerians have battled xenophobic attacks in South Africa for years, with at least 127 believed to have been killed over the past three years.
At least 13 of those were documented to have been killed by officers of the South African Police Service (SAPS).
It was revealed last week that four SAPS officers have been arrested in connection to the death of Pius Abiazem, a Nigerian businessman.
Abiaziem reportedly died while he was being interrogated by a team of police officers at his home in Eastern Cape on August 23, 2019.
While holding a bilateral meeting with Nigerian president, Muhammadu Buhari, on the sidelines of the 7th Tokyo International Conference on African Development (TICAD) last week, South African president, Cyril Ramaphosa, said his government is working to end the attacks.
The two leaders are expected to discuss the issue at more length during Buhari’s official visit to South Africa in October.